Our goal is to provide the community with effective educational services in order to promote healthy lifestyles and a higher quality of life. To achieve this goal, the health department offers many programs aimed at keeping families healthy.
- As a part of our WIC program we support children by encouraging breastfeeding and good parenting and by providing formula and food for age-eligible children, pregnant women and new mothers. Our WIC families also receive vouchers to buy fresh produce at local farmers markets. Certified breastfeeding counselors are on staff.
- Through Family Case Management we help parents learn new parenting skills, assess high-risk infants and collaborate with DCFS to ensure foster children receive proper medical and dental care.
- Through our Breast & Cervical Cancer Program (IBCCP) we help women receive free cancer screening.
- Children are tested for lead poisoning through the Lead Poisoning Prevention Program.
- Very Low-Cost Blood Testing is offered at all three health department locations.