Contact Us


Lead Poisoning Prevention Program

Home 5 Lead Poisoning Prevention Program

Lead poisoning is the leading environmental illness in children. Children can ingest paint chips or contaminated dust from deteriorated or disturbed lead-based paint in homes built before 1978 which can result in subtle but serious health problems.

Children who live in these older homes, or often spend time in one, should be tested at ages one and two. Lead testing is also required prior to school and for many day care centers.

To prevent lead poisoning in young children, frequent hand washing with soap and water are important, especially before meals and bedtime. A diet high in iron (meats, cereals), calcium (milk, cheese, yogurt), and Vitamin C (juices and many fruits and vegetables) helps the child’s body absorb less lead.

If you are remodeling a home built before 1978 use lead-safe construction practices to ensure children do not become exposed to lead chips or dust during construction. Follow the links below for more information on safe ways to renovate homes with lead-based paint.

For a lead screening on your child, please call 815-879-0341.

For any questions or information on lead concerns, including lead abatement, please call 815-872-5091.