The goal of the water program is to prevent waterborne illnesses and diseases.
Construction or Renovations
In Illinois, private water wells must be constructed or renovated by an Illinois Department of Public Health licensed well contractor. Before construction or modifications can take place, the health department must issue a private water well construction permit. We conduct inspections of newly constructed and/or renovated private wells in Bureau, Putnam and Marshall Counties.
If you need help finding a well driller, you can Search for a Licenced Well Contractor/Driller Here.
Sealing Abandoned Wells
The health department issues well sealing permits and inspects the well sealing to ensure that underground water resources are protected.
Closed Loop Geothermal Wells
Before installing closed loop geothermal wells, a permit must be obtained from our health department. Closed loop well construction is inspected by our environmental health staff.
Water Well Testing
All new water wells are tested by our staff for Coliform/E. coli bacteria. We recommend that all private well owners test their wells for Coliform/E.coli bacteria and nitrate/nitrite content annually. Water well testing kits for Coliform/E. coli bacteria are available for purchase at each of our department locations. Nitrate and nitrite in groundwater may be produced by agricultural fertilizers, livestock waste or septic systems. For nitrate/nitrite testing, our staff can assist you in locating a private laboratory.
Testing Water for Lead and Other Contaminants
The Illinois State Water Survey provides lead testing for any household (private
well or municipal supply) at a discounted price through their HEAL laboratory.
Testing for lead usually applies to older homes, built before approximately 1986,
where lead pipes or solder might be present. The Illinois State Water Survey
HEAL laboratory also offers testing for other contaminants. For more
information or to request a kit, call the Public Service Laboratory at (217) 300-
7420. Prices and services offered are listed at: Home Water Testing (illinois.edu).
Water Program Documents, Forms & Applications
- Bureau County Water Ordinance
- Putnam County Water Ordinance
- Marshall County Water Ordinance
- Illinois Water Well Construction Code
- Illinois Water Well and Pump Installation Contractor License and Code
- Illinois Pump Installation Code
- Water Well Construction Report
- Water Well Pump Installation Report
- Water Well Permit Application
- Well Diagram Supplemental Form
- Application for Permit to Seal Abandoned Well
- Closed Loop Well Permit Application
- Putnam County Closed Loop Well Registration Form
Water Fee Schedule
Water System Resources
- Create and Store an Emergency Water Supply
- Potential Well Water Contaminants and Their Impacts
- Interested in becoming an expert on your private well? The Illinois State Water Survey and Rural Community Assistance Partnership (RCAP) offers a FREE class for private well owners here: PrivateWellClass.org
- EPA Cross Connection Guide PDF
- Procedures for Well Water System Disinfection PDF